St Augustine’s Church was built in 1869, but records show a church has existed here as long as 1145 AD. King Henry II appointed a Rector, the Church being already dedicated to St Augustine, the first Archbishop of Canterbury. In the 18th Century, much of the Alston Parish was granted by the Crown to Greenwich Hospital. The Church became a ruin and was pulled down in 1769. A new one was built to a plan by Smeaton (of Eddystone Lighthouse fame), but this was pulled down in 1869, and the present Church built. Nothing of the original church remains, except a curious stone scoup, and a few decorated stones in the Church porch.