The church is on several tourist routes and welcomes visitors.
Our worship is central in tradition, our liturgy aiming at being both dignified and relaxed. The music is led at our main service on Sunday morning by organ and choir.
Children are welcome and there is a play area for them to use if they wish.
St. Lawrence’s church building is a grade 1 listed building, of late 12th century foundation, rebuilt late 13th after a raid by the Scots, restored 16th by Lady Anne Clifford, followed by two rounds of 19th century internal remodeling. We are noted for our organ, probably from Carlisle Cathedral in 1683, and the tombs of Lady Anne Clifford and her mother Lady Margaret. We are featured in Simon Jenkins’ book ‘A Thousand Best Churches’.
On most days the church building is open between about 8 am and about 5 pm for those who wish to visit or spend time in it. All are welcome. Leaflets explaining the church building are available for visitors.
Our congregation includes people of diverse ages, backgrounds and opinions. Many of the adults are actively involved in public life and in charitable work. We aim to tell the story of Jesus; to nourish friendship and fellowship; and to offer practical encouragement and spiritual accompaniment in faith and in doubt.