This area will be full of news and information, All about getting married in the Lake District and the many services, events and offers our local businesses have to offer
We are a community of people drawn together by the love of God in Jesus Christ. Together we seek to offer our lives to God in worship and in service. We try to share with one another the love that we receive from God, and we try to share God’s love with all who are our “neighbors” We are part of the Church of England in the diocese of Carlisle this means that we are part of the Anglican Communion (including, for example, the Episcopal Church of the United Sates of America and the Episcopal Church of Scotland). We are also part of Churches Together in Windermere & District (under the umbrella of Churches Together in England) and we work closely with other churches in Windermere and district.
A church has stood here in the parish of Glassonby since 1272. The current church of St Michael and All Angels is not the original, possibly rebuilt in 1704.The Church has a quaint feel about it and is a member of the church or England in Cumbria.
St Andrew’s stands amid fields, with a commanding view of Skiddaw and the Northern Fells. A fine example of Norman architecture, its walls include stones from Hadrian’s Wall.The Church family worship Jesus here, and go out to serve the local community with His love.
There has been a church at Ainstable, on its present site overlooking the village, for over 900 years.The manor of Ainstable was held by the Denton family. During the reign of Edward IV the church was appropriated to the Nunnery on Croglin Water which, until its dissolution in 1534, supplied priests for Ainstable. You can see the Nunnery Sanctuary stone between Ruckcroft and Staffield. In 1871 The Diocese granted a faculty to pull down the church and use the material for rebuilding. The present building in its Gothic style succeeding a similar stone one which had stood for 100 years, was erected in 1872 at a cost of £2000. A fine oak screen was erected in 1888 in memory of Elizabeth Aglionby. However, due to poor foundations the tower had to be dismantled in 1983. The church seats about 100 people. The south transept houses the “Harrison & Harrison” organ, considered to be a fine instrument of approximately 424 pipes.